Friday, February 15, 2008

All the Way to the Top!





We did it! Actually the kids did it and I almost did. Being the brave children they are they made it all the way to the top of the Basel Cathedral tower. I made it the level next to the top. I had been so brave. Really I had. The spiral stairway on the outside of the tower leading to the last level had iron railings that allowed one to see off the side. The other sets of stairs, ladder steep stairs, had all been enclosed making me feel safe except for the brief bouts of claustrophobia. Fortunately (for scared moms) the stairway is so narrow it was impossible to turn back or fall for that matter. The top left photo is from the second level ledge!




The photo above is of the LAST staircase that wound up to the very tip top. The kids called for me to come up. Even begged. I was not going. They did admit once we were within the safety of the cathederal they were a little scared. You can see the staircase on the outisde in the photo below. The level with the arched open windows was the third level. Below it, the railing is the second level.


This was our third trip to the cathedral and we were finally able climb the tower. We all agree, it was worth the wait.


2 comments:

Miss Ladelle said...

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

Sandra I, too, suffer from close spaces - you were brave and I'm proud of you. Really cool photos - and everybody is doing well. That's good too.

Have been to stairway like that in Milan, Italy and a huge cathedral so I understand about the heighth and narrow passage ways. Quite an adventure - right? Too cool ! ! !

Miss Ladelle

theGallagherFamily said...

Hello Deals, The Cathedral was so beautiful. Great Job Mom!!!! These are my favorite set of pics yet. So good to know ya'll are well and having a good time!!! Do you have a phone yet??? Cannot wait to talk to you.

Love Ya'll
Gallaghers