Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Planning, more planning and packing


My list is shrinking. Slowly, one by one, things to do and purchase are being marked off THE list. THE list is in THE notebook. I have a notebook and/or a list for almost everything. I make lists before I go to bed and lists when I rise. Such a sense of accomplishment to mark things off of a list. A little secret: if the list is in pencil and the task is not accomplished on the appointed day it can be erased and moved to the "do later" list. There is no time limit on the "do later" list. So no failure or guilt!
The three younger children and I leave for Switzerland in less than a week for our four month stay. Tonight we packed snack bags for the plane trip. First we went to Walmart and picked out all kinds of snacks and candies only allowed on special occasions. After we divided up all of the goodies, we neatly packed toilet seat covers and hand sanitizer into our backpacks. My experience with toilets in France tells me these items are necessary. It was fun. The kids sat down in row of chairs armed with backpacks, Ziploc bags, and wide eyes. They closely watch to make certain each bag is filled evenly. The anticipation builds as each sweet treat is distributed.
I am sure one day they will look back with fond memories of their wonderful mother making packing lists and photocopying one for each family member. Then with drill sergeant clipboard in hand, calling out each article of clothing and marking it off the list after the item's presence is verified. They will, right?
"I will bless the Lord at all times." Psalms 34:1

3 comments:

S said...

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
~Ecclesiastes 3:1

Miss Ladell said...

Is anybody out there? Somebody say something on Chat and I"ll know you're okay.

Miss Ladelle

theGallagherFamily said...

glad to hear all is well. we miss ya'll very much. love the Gallaghers